In the world of men’s watches, square might be the new round. It seems as if watches with square faces are “in” for men. I think the era of hip square watches was really ushered in by the instrument panel inspired designs of the groundbreaking European brand Bell & Ross. Unfortunately, that exclusive high end watch brand is out of reach for many Americans. But, if you think it would be hip to wear a square watch, there are plenty of more affordable options. Here are some of the best choices:
1. iPod Watch. If you’ve been waiting for computer and watch technology to converge, you can stop waiting and converge it yourself with a 6th Generation iPod Nano and a iPod watch band or arm case. On Amazon, the 6th Generation iPod Nano sells for just under $120 and a watch band case costs between $10 and $20. However, when Engadget reviewed the iPod as a watch in 2010, they found a few problem areas. Primarily, the wearer had to touch the iPod in order to wake it and see the time. Still, the iPod looks great as a permanent watch conversion with rubber or metal bands from a company called Lunatik. An ABS silicone rubber case and band called the TikTok looks great for about $39.95. A metal case and band called the Lunatik looks even better at $79.95.
2. NFW Autopilot. If you are looking for a premium square watch that doesn’t have a stratospheric price tag, you might check out NFW watches. Priced between $400 and $500 on ZuluTimeZone, NFW AutoPilot Watches have a tough, masculine, look that incorporate instrument panel inspiration and achieve a quite different look from Bell amp; Ross designs. Plus, they have exhibition casebacks and all the accoutrements that are expected in a premium watch.
3. Structure Instrument Panel Watch. If you like the looks of a classic Bell amp; Ross watch, but won’t be able to afford one until all those lottery numbers line up, you should check out the Square Instrument Panel Style Watch from Structure. Sold by Sears, this watch has the great looks a of Bell amp; Ross watch in an affordable quartz powered package that sells for around $30.
4. Mossimo Watches. Other affordable alternatives to Bell amp; Ross can be found at Target. Mossimo sells a square quartz analog watch and a square ana-digital watch that offer square looks. The ana-digital watch resembles a Bell amp; Ross and the quartz watch offers futuristic stealth bomber styling that looks a little like something from uwerk watches. But, at around $20, these watches can fit almost any budget.
5. Casio Classic Calendar and Calculator Watch. Finally, if you want to get your geek on and harbor nostalgia for the 80s, the Casio Classic Calendar and Calculator Watch is a retro reminder and a functional calculator. It’s also a very affordable, practical, and square digital watch.
There are more square watches than ever in the marketplace. They can be found at any price and in a variety of styles. All you have to do is pick one or maybe more!